Historien om Skeppsholmen

History

The premises of Hotel Skeppsholmen have a long and colourful history. It was originally built in 1699-1702 with the purpose of housing the Royal Marines of Karl XII. Since Sweden’s financial situation of the time was poor, most of the building material came from ruined castles on the countryside. The buildings, known to locals as “The Long Row”, was never used for the soldiers as intended, as most of them never made it home from the wars. They were therefore left inhabited until 1710, when the city started using them as a hospice for poor people infected with the plague. Several years later and after some renovation work, the buildings became offices and storehouses for the Navy, but also housing for military employees. The Martial Court was accommodated here too. In the 1900’s most of the space was turned into apartments for Navy staff, mostly officers and their families, and in the 2000’s it was once again adapted to be used as administrative offices. In 1935 the buildings became government listed historic buildings and even if the architect Nicodemus Tessin Jr is most famous for the design of the Royal Castle this is one out of just two commercial edifices still remaining today. Many interesting personalities have passed by ”The Long Row” throughout the years. To honor some of the men and women who have been staying here, we have dedicated each hotel room to a prominent person from our past.

Careful renovation

Since the buildings are government listed historic buildings, we had to consider the conditions of the building as well as the original qualities. Most changes also need to be reversible in order to return the building into its previous state if that would later be the case. The rebuilding comprise demolition of secondary walls, construction of elevator shafts and tearing down damp damaged joists and floors at the entrance level. As this was done, original and older constructions and layers have appeared, which has enhanced the understanding of the former layout of the rooms. Half of the hotel rooms have the original size of 16,5 sqm. The rooms have two windows giving them a more spacious look and feel. The new bathrooms were designed as boxes behind which the old panels and surfaces are untouched. The uninterrupted view along the 100 meters long hallway was restored. In other respects the buildings’ austere and simple design has been preserved in the original details such as stairs, forgings, plaster, bricks, wooden floors etc. Almost half of the brick walls consist of recycled bricks due to the fast that at the time of construction, Sweden’s financial situation was poor and most of the building material came from ruined castles on the countryside. Original brick floors have been discovered in a few rooms at the entrance level and in the hallway. They have been documented and are preserved covered by the new floors. The original floor boards on the entrance level have been dissembled, cleared from nails, planed and are now put back. At the 1st floor, the original floor boards are protected by a new wooden floor and on the 2nd floor, a new layer of wooden floor is installed upon a sound isolating material.

Responsible designers and architects are award-winning Claesson Koivisto Rune together with Erséus Architects.

SHARE THIS PAGE

Facebook Twitter Google Plus

BE THE FIRST TO RECEIVE OUR SPECIALS

The latest news and exciting specials
directly to your Inbox

FIND YOUR WAY AT HOTEL SKEPPSHOLMEN

Nobis AB
Stockholm's first contemporary luxury hotel Hotel J Stockholm's Newport Stockholms urban oasis En idyllisk miljö med utsikt över Brunnsviken i Kungliga Hagaparken Hotel Stockholm Miss Clara Fabriken Furillen Hotell Gotland Restaurang Stockholm Operakällaren Nattklubb Stockholm Café Opera Susanne af Stockholm Best Western Täby Park